We have an immediate need in our Engineering Department for an intermediate to senior Electronics Designer to refine and further develop Quanser’s line of products aimed at improving undergraduate engineering laboratories and facilitating cutting edge research.
Quanser develops a large number of designs every year with a wide range of technical complexity. The specific projects will depend on the applicant’s qualifications, interests, and career goals, but in general, any individual will work on multiple designs in a given year.
The design work will span both analog and digital fields. Technology areas include power amplifiers, sensor amplification, mixed signal data acquisition, FPGA’s, CPLD’s, microprocessors, USB, and Ethernet with the primary emphasis on real-time control system applications. Current projects include scale models of autonomous cars, autonomous drones, robotic arms, mixed reality, 6D tracking systems, and single board computers. Designers are expected to take products from concept through development to production, working both independently and in teams.
Our Waterloo office is embedded within our primary PCB manufacturer’s office, providing access to world-class facilities for design, prototyping, and production. The Markham location is at our main corporate headquarters where the majority of our engineering staff are located as well as our production facilities. There is the potential for this position to move from our Waterloo office to the Markham office (if this is preferred by the successful candidate), but this will only be considered after at least a 6-12 month training period working full-time out of the Waterloo office with the Electronics team.
- Design and develop analog and digital circuits for real-time control systems
- Layout designs and coordinate with PCB manufacturers for prototyping and production
- Test and debug your designs
- Code and/or debug firmware (depending on qualifications)
- Implement embedded software solutions
- Design and build automated test jigs for production as needed.
- A post-secondary education from a recognized university or college, in a relevant field (i.e. Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, Electronics Technician etc.)
- Experience designing analog and digital circuits
- General knowledge of amplifiers, sensors, motor driver circuits, ADC’s, DAC’s, and microcontrollers with experience in at least one area
- Experience with PCB design and layout principles
- Programming experience in at least one language
- Firmware development in C
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS CONSIDERED AN ASSET
- Experience with power amplifiers, microprocessors (ARM, Intel), FPGA’s, CPLD’s, USB 3.0, Ethernet
- WiFi, Bluetooth, other wireless protocols and hardware design
- Familiar with EMC issues such as radiated and conducted emissions/immunity, ESD
- Familiar with regulatory requirements such as Industry Canada, FCC, RCM, CE, KCC, RoHS, WEEE, etc.
- High-speed design
- Experience with Cadstar
- LabVIEW real-time and FPGA
- Design for manufacturing, and understanding of manufacturing processes
- Project management, JIRA, Agile development
- Control theory
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to learn new skills and concepts quickly and efficiently
- Willing to tactfully approach and push boundaries, question processes, and suggest improvements
- Ability to embrace and drive change
- Comfortable working both individually and in a dynamic team environment
- Confidence in dealing with cross-functional experts
- Dedicated self-starter with a strong work ethic
- Ability to focus, prioritize, multi-task, and meet deadlines
- Detail oriented, and have the ability to work with minimum supervision
- Ability to work effectively, and coordinate efforts with other departments to ensure targets are met
- Open to receiving and giving feedback and suggestions from co-workers and supervisor
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Quanser has a team oriented and technologically passionate culture, offering competitive salaries commensurate with experience level and a full company benefit package. Compensation for this role will be comprised of base salary plus a performance based component. Quanser is committed to a healthy work-life balance, offering flexible hours and a wellness program.