We have an immediate need for a Mechanical Design Engineer to join our R&D Department, in our Markham, Ontario office (due to the current COVID-19 Pandemic, this role will initially operate remotely, working from home, with the understanding that it will eventually be required for this role to work from the Markham office). Reporting to the Senior R&D Manager, Electronics and Mechanical, this position offers an exciting and challenging opportunity for a motivated professional.
You will be an integral member of our engineering team as you use your technical expertise and creativity to refine and further develop Quanser’s exciting line of products aimed at improving undergraduate engineering laboratories and facilitating cutting edge research.
This role requires a results-oriented team player who thrives in an ever evolving, fast-paced environment. If you have a passion for mechanical design, are a self-directed and driven individual, who would be excited to lead the business in this area, this may be the right opportunity for you.
- Create 3D models for products and project concepts
- Lead the development of new mechanical designs, which may include:
- Custom robotics
- Haptic input devices
- Educational experiments
- Research platforms
- Contribute to the preparation and documentation of project requirements, specifications, and cost estimates
- Participate in department and project design reviews
- Selection and procurement of components for prototype designs
- Prepare, complete, furnish, and maintain a complete shop package of drawings, specifications, work Instructions, BOM’s and other Engineering materials
- Interface with fabrication and machine shops for your designs
- Assembly and testing of prototypes
- Train production personnel to assemble and test completed designs
- Respond to engineering change orders for existing products to solve issues arising from customer or production floor feedback
- Other duties as assigned
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from a recognized university; Mechanical or Mechatronic Design specializations are preferred areas of study
- Looking for a skilled professional with 1 to 3 years of experience, preferably from a technology company. Note: co-op experience in a related field will be considered professional experience
- Strong skills in using SolidWorks for Mechanical Design
- Experience in PLM (Product Lifecycle Management) techniques and tools
- Familiar with standard data management practices, particularly PDM Workgroup
- Practical hands-on prototyping experience
- Experience designing for both conventional and CNC-machined parts
- Perform and document sizing calculations for shafts, motors, bearings, etc.
- Additional assets include 3D printing, injection molding, SVN, GitHub, Aras, Altium mechanical plugin, Blender, cable routing, EMI regulatory processes, and/or control theory
- Must be a creative individual with a passion for mechanical design work
- Must be willing to take a tactful approach and push boundaries, question processes, and suggest improvements
- Ability to embrace and drive change with a “Make it Happen” attitude
- Ability to operate effectively in high pressure situations
- Must be capable of working and communicating with cross-functional experts
- Ability to focus, prioritize, multi-task, and meet deadlines
- Must be detail oriented, and able to work independently with minimum supervision
- Open to feedback, and suggestions from co-workers, and supervisor
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
Compensation and Benefits
Quanser has a team-oriented and technologically passionate culture, offering competitive salaries commensurate with experience level and a full group benefits package including Health, Dental and Vision coverage. Quanser is committed to a healthy work-life balance, offering flexible hours and a wellness program.